Thursday, September 8, 2011

Mad About Plaid!

Yipes! It's been so long since I have been able to post, but I actually have a non-baby related reason this time: our nine year-old modem finally crashed, so we took the opportunity to switch from DSL to cable. Of course, we had to wait forever for the cable company to come out, so we were without internet for about three weeks (the horror!) Luckily, I had been working on this post before we lost all connection to the outside world.

Here is a dress that I finished some time ago. I had a terrible time getting a good picture of it; I don't know if it was because of its dark color or if the conditions were just wrong every time, but I tried on four separate occasions, and these pictures were the best out of about fifty. I had to lighten them considerably in order to show the details, so just try to ignore how washed out the background (and my face!) looks.




I made it with navy and plaid cotton using this pattern from the Vintage Pattern Lending Library. If you haven't already been to this site, you should head over there and do some browsing; they have some really beautiful patterns at very reasonable prices.


I LOVE this pattern so much that I just want to make it over and over, and this is actually the second time that I have made it. The first time was immediately after I had my baby; it was for his christening. I made his christening outfit as well and had almost no time to make my own dress. This pattern came together very quickly and easily for me, which was a lifesaver at the time. I made it again for two reasons. One, I was about thirty pounds heavier and *ahem* much bustier when I made it the first time, and it was just too big to take in. Two, I was so rushed when I originally made it that I didn't have time to worry about plaid matching, putting the zipper in correctly, etc. Basically, it was just not made well. So, I salvaged the sleeves and some of the fabric and used them to make this dress, and then I destroyed the rest of the poorly-sewn evidence :)
I made a few alterations from the pattern instructions this time around. The original dress unbuttons to the waist with the yoke being completely sewn down. Instead of using the facing piece provided for the bodice, I completely lined the inside with plaid and made it open down to the point of the yoke. I did this because I really wanted to add some extra buttons there for aesthetic purposes anyway, so I figured that they may as well be functional. Also, I had a bit of trouble getting in and out of the first dress, so this helped with that as well.

Here is a close-up of the sleeve and some more covered buttons. You know I do love my covered buttons.


And of the bodice. I love that the tie can be styled in many different ways.


You may also notice that I am sporting a new hairstyle (sort of). I have been on a mad Poirot re-watching spree, and I fell in love with Gerda's hairstyle in "The Hollow". Here are some pictures of her hair (my very first attempt at screen captures!):


My hair looked similar to that already, except that I added one more wave at the jaw to cover the ear. I also did a center part instead of the side part that I had previously always done. Also, the truth is that I only ever did waves on one side, as the other side was always covered by my hat; the rest I had always just put up in rollers. I really love it; although it doesn't look very different from the (left) side, it looks dramatically different overall. What do you think?



32 comments:

  1. Love the diagonal lines of the dress and the covered buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do I think? I think it is perfect! All of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! That is something very special indeed! Love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this dress pattern and how you've made it, it is jaw-droppingly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a lovely dress! I love the changes you made to the bodice/buttons. Love the little belt too : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the dress, you always accessories so well! Your hair looks very glamarous too! X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! There´s not much more I can say. The dress looks amazing and so do you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! I think your added buttons yoke add so much to the design. I'm definitely adding this to my must buy pattern list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is SO wonderful. So so so stunning! I'm envious of your incredible sewing skills, this dress is just perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The new hair is impressive--as is the new dress! I love tartan! Oh my God, three weeks without internet. I don't know how I'd function.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very, very pretty. And love the waves!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a stunning dress!! I love the detailing, and I must say how amazing your hair is!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful! I recently purchased this pattern, too, but was second guessing myself as I was afraid it would look too costumey. Your version is absolute perfection and now I am envisioning it! Yours is so much cuter than the pattern illustration!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everything is simply scrumptious head to toe!! Wish I knew a seamstress, I too would have this dress in many combos. The hat(s) wonderful! The hair, job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That really is lovely. I think plaid is so classic! Oh, and I love your hair. I've recently decided to get my hair bobbed again. :) I can't wait! I so want to try finger waves!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your blog is so fantastic and a great result on this latest effort! Congratulations! Now, I must go ahead and break out one or two of my retro patterns I've been neglecting, stat!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love, love, love everything - the dress, the hair, your blog. :) I absolutely loved Henrietta's clothes in The Hollow, too. I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your fingerwaves are spectacular!! I'm in awe! That dress is equally fantastic; the sleeves and the buttons are just too great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Incredible! Everything looks fantastic... the dress, the hair, the hat... love it! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is breathtaking. Very well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Perfection! the dress is making me drool you look amazing and your hair wow x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your hair is amazing! So perfect with the hat. and the dress is beautiful too. What a great look.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This dress is executed beautifully:)you look fabulous. I love the plaid/navy blue combination. your hair finishes the outfit off perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow, you look fantastic! I absolutely love your blog. Your sewing skills are incredible. I'd love to see a how to on your waves. I try but they never turn out that nice! x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, no, this is so gorgeous i nearly feel sick! It's perfect, and soo well-made. Hair is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! Thank you, everyone! Lauren, please do make up this pattern; I would love to see what such a talented seamstress would create! As for the dress looking costumey, I had the same concern. I found that when I tied a big bow at the neckline as shown on the pattern, I felt a little ridiculous; letting the tie hang down feels much more natural. The huge sleeves are my favorite part, but they definitely took some getting used to! I would love to make this again using crepe or something more drapey; I think that would change the look of it completely.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just discovered your blog-- your creations are fabulous! I love your hair and always wondered how that style is achieved. Do you have any tutorials? It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What an amazing dress! And your fingerwaves too..how do you do that? If you do have any tips I'd b every happy to hear them - I can never get my waves right!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wonderful. I've always wanted to make this dress.

    ReplyDelete
  30. You have made in writing this interesting and knowledgeable article. This is a topic that is near to my heart… Thank you! tko carts

    ReplyDelete