Wednesday, March 16, 2011

EvaDress Contest Entry!

Well, of course it came down to the wire, but I finally finished my outfit for the EvaDress Sewing Contest. At least, I hope that I submitted it in time; after having problems with my email and having to find out how to compress pictures by reading about it on the internet, I'm pretty sure that I got the email in with 30 minutes to spare (and that's if I converted the time zones correctly)! I've been working on it since I found out about the contest. Here are the pictures (note to self: take Christmas wreath down!):


Of course, I made a lot of extra work for myself by making some changes to the pattern.On the shirt, I didn't want the opening to be visible in the front below the scarf, so I put the closure in the back instead of in the side, put a row of stitching down the front to match, and eliminated the opening in the front. In the pattern, there are buttonholes in the scarf, which is attached to the shirt in the back, and in the cape. I wanted to make the cape reversible and I also wanted to be able to wear it with other outfits, so I made the scarf detachable, put buttons on both sides of the cape (instead of the buttonholes called for in the pattern) as well as on the shirt. That way, I can wear the scarf and cape with anything and on either side. On the skirt, I reversed the direction of the pleats, only because they looked backwards to me on my muslin. I found the perfect buckle and button set on Etsy, but the buttons turned out to be too small, so I'm thinking about turning them into earrings.
I see that some of my favorite bloggers, like Debi from My Happy Sewing Place and Lauren from Wearing History, have also entered the contest; check out their beautiful creations! Also, welcome to my newest followers: Kir, Nicole Needles, Brittany_Va-VoomVintage, Lauren Hairston, Miss Rosie Beau, Raymondedn, and Curvy Kitty; so happy to have you here! And Jennie, I'm so sorry that I spelled your name wrong when I welcomed you in my last post; some kind of welcome, eh?!

14 comments:

  1. I am so impressed with your outfit! It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything about this! I want one too! The color combination is great too. I've been wanting a 3 piece - with a cape/long cardigan, over a top and skirt - for a while now. This is definitely prompting me to have one done in the next project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, how fabulous! What fabric have you used for the camel portions? Anything with plaid and a cape has my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, everyone! Baroness, the camel fabric is a nice nubbly material; unfortunately, I have no idea what it is made of, as it was one of those mystery fabrics on clearance at Wal-Mart...I really must start using nicer fabrics, it's just that the pattern called for SO MUCH! The inside is soft and feels sort of like flannel. I didn't notice that it looks a bit like terrycloth (but with a much smaller weave) until my husband said, "That cape looks like a big towel"! It really doesn't now, but it kind of did while I was working on it; for a while I was very worried! Thanks so much for your nice comments; this one really was a lot of work! And now since I know you like it, you can go and vote for me! I mean, you can go and vote for whomever you want to vote for. As long as it's me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely LOVE this outfit! I also love how you made the cape reversible! Absolutely stunning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just adore everything about this outfit, the colour combination, the style, the fit but most of all the fact that you made it and altered the pattern slightly leave me speachless, and a little envious.
    I truely hope you win and thanks for a great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's just incredible! I adore the colors and fabrics that you picked too. That cracked me up about what your husband said! *lol* My husband often comments on my half-finished projects too, leaving me questioning weather or not it will look okay when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done! You're definitely in with a chance of winning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absoultely divine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hello, birthday girl! Looks like we were born on the same day! AWESOME! 1930s cosmic style twins :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. pure genius! this is amazing!!! I bet your sewing room must be piled high with patterns and beautiful fabrics...

    ....sooo...did you win???

    xxx

    ReplyDelete